We are currently experiencing a time when the cost of materials is at its all time highest and we are having to produce projects faster and lose head count at the same time.
The best companies deal with this through a combination of technical evolution (logic) and human centred design (emotion).
Technical evolution comes from logical iterative steps and generates:
- New technologies to make your product/service lighter and faster
- Value engineering that enables you to save money on delivering existing products/services
Human centred design is all about psychologically playing with your customers’ emotions so that they have a better customer experience and end up purchasing more:
- Make your product/service topical (drinking Guiness on St.Patricks day)
- Develop product platforms – not products (Boots No.7 or Sainsbury’s Good, Better, Best ranges)
- Spend time with your consumers and build empathy with them (show them product prototypes and listen to their feedback).
Success comes from finding the sweet spot between consumer needs, new technologies and what your business can actually supply.
Let’s take the key elements of emotional brand design, and an example with Coke:
- Hook (colour) Red
- Line (shape) Bottle pack
- Sinker (words) ‘Classic’ wording
Think about your target audience. If it’s B2B then you probably want to focus on technical evolution (logic). Whereas if it’s B2C then you want to appeal to focus on human centered design (emotion).
Having said that, it is widely accepted within the marketing world that for most purchases, around 80% of the buying decision is emotional and 20% is logical. So, unless you’re business really is at the cutting edge of technology, you’d be better off investing in human centred design (emotions).
Meeting with a brand consultant to talk about your human centred design will benefit you in many ways:
- Creative: Professionally creative people spend their lives thinking in new ways, so they know what works
- Fresh: They don’t know your business like you do, so they’ll offer a fresh perspective on the problem that’s been haunting you
- New: They have their finger on the pulse of new fashions and technologies, which means you can relax knowing you’re in safe hands.