1. WHAT IS A COOKIE?
2. FIRST PARTY COOKIES
First-party cookies are cookies set by the specific website You visit i.e. the website displayed in the URL window.
3. THIRD PARTY COOKIES
Some third party cookies are set by services that appear on our pages or by Partners and are not within our control. They may be set by the operators of that service e.g. Twitter, Facebook and relate to Your ability to share content on this Site, as indicated by the icons on the Site.
4. COOKIE CATEGORIES
The type of cookie used on this Site can be put into 1 of 4 categories, based on the International Chamber of Commerce guide to cookie categories.
A. Strictly Necessary Cookies:
These cookies are essential, as they enable You to move around a website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas. Without these cookies, Services You've asked for (such as access to secure areas) cannot be provided. These cookies don't gather information about You that could be used for marketing or remembering where You've been on the internet. These cannot be restricted or blocked.
B. Performance Cookies:
These cookies collect information about how You use a website, for example which pages You go to most often and if You get any error messages from certain pages. These cookies don't gather information that identifies You. All information these cookies collect is anonymous and is only used to improve how a website works. These cookies are not used to target You with online advertising. Without these cookies we cannot learn how our Site is performing and make relevant improvements that could better Your browsing experience. These can be restricted or blocked.
C. Functionality & Profile Cookies:
These cookies allow a website to remember choices You make (such as Your user name, language or the region You are in) and tailor the website to provide enhanced features and content for You. For instance, they remember Your log-in details and allow You to watch videos. They also ensure the onsite marketing and experience is relevant to You. These cookies can also be used to remember changes You've made to text size, font and other parts of pages that You can customise. The information these cookies collect may be anonymous and they cannot track Your browsing activity on other websites. Without these cookies, a website cannot remember choices You've previously made or personalise Your browsing experience. These can be restricted or blocked.
D. Targeting Cookies:
These cookies gather information about Your browsing habits. They remember that You've visited a website and share this information with other organisations such as advertisers. They do this in order to provide You with ads that are more relevant to You and Your interests. Although these cookies can track Your visits to other websites, they don't usually know who You are. Without these cookies, online advertisements You encounter will be less relevant to You and Your interests. These can be restricted or blocked.
Cookies on our Site are used for the following purposes:
- to improve the Site's usability by enabling You to (1) register and create an account and subsequently log in to the Site to authorise Your use of the Interactive Services (and to have Your information or Your details remembered for later); and, (2) upload PGC to the Site.
- to track Site usage and trends;
- to improve the quality of our Interactive Services;
- to enable us to monitor security of the Site to ensure no person violates our terms;
- to analyse the use of our Site through Analytics software such as Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics, a popular web analytics service provided by Google, Inc. The information generated by the cookie about Your use of our Site (including Your IP address) will be transmitted to and stored by Google on servers in the United States. Google Analytics will use this information for the purpose of evaluating Your use of our Site, compiling reports on Site activity and behaviour – such as the typical length of stay on the Site or the average number of pages a User views or for the purpose of providing other services relating to Site activity and internet usage. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google's behalf. Google undertakes not to associate Your IP address with any other data held by Google.
Below is a full list of the cookies used by Silicon Junction along with which cookie category they slot in to, whether they are first or third party, what their purpose is and when they expire on Your device:
|Cookie Name||Cookie category||First / Third party||Purpose||Resource URL||EXPIRE|
|__utma||Performance||Third Party||Analytics||disqus.com||Persistent 2 years|
|__utmb||Performance||Third Party||Analytics||disqus.com||Persistent 24 hours|
|__utmz||Performance||Third Party||Analytics||disqus.com||Persistent 6 months|
|disqus_unique||Third Party||Comments||disqus.com||Persistent 1 year|
|NID||Third Party||Maps||google.com||Persistent 6 months|
|UID||Third Party||Social / Sharing||scorecardresearch.com||Persistent 2 years|
|UIDR||Third Party||Social / Sharing||scorecardresearch.com||Persistent 2 years|
|__utma||Third Party||Analytics||siliconjunction.co.uk||Persistent 2 years|
|__utmb||Performance||Third Party||Analytics||siliconjunction.co.uk||Persistent 24 hours|
|__utmz||Performance||Third Party||Analytics||siliconjunction.co.uk||Persistent 6 months|
|_twitter_sess||Third Party||Social / Sharing||twitter.com||Session|
|guest_id||Third Party||Social / Sharing||twitter.com||Persistent 2 years|
|k||Third Party||Social / Sharing||twitter.com||Persistent 1 week|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||Functionality & Profile cookie||Third Party||Video||youtube.com||Persistent 8 months|
|__jid||Strictly Necessary||First Party||siliconjunction.co.uk||Persistent 24 hours|
|Strictly Necessary||First Party||siliconjunction.co.uk||Session|
|L1e||Third Party||Social / Sharing||linkedin.com||Session|
|Third Party||Social / Sharing||linkedin.com||Session|
6. WANT TO LEARN MORE ABOUT COOKIES?
You can manage these small files and learn more about them from the Directgov article: Internet Browser cookies - what they are and how to manage them
7. WANT TO RESTRICT OR BLOCK ANY COOKIES?
By using our Site, You agree that We can place cookies on Your device, however, if You would like to restrict or block cookies used on our Site (or on any website), You will need to change the browser settings in each browser You use and on each device You use to access the internet. Click here to see full instructions for all browsers
Please be aware that some of our Services will not function if Your browser does not accept the cookies.
More information about cookies can be found at:
Internet Advertising Bureau:
Guide to online advertising and privacy
International Chamber of Commerce United Kingdom:
ICC UK cookie guide